To structure your projects or business
This program is specially developed for entrepreneurs in creative and cultural industries who are looking to refine or confirm their positioning, structure a new project or business model, or structure their activities and internal organization.
Our support helps you address your specific business challenges with seasoned coaches and experts and discuss best practices with your peers.
The program’s content and duration (two to six months) varies according to the partners supporting the program and the objectives set.
55 businesses received support through various editions of the SURF program
2 editions of the SURF program are currently offered
This program has run the last two years in partnership with the Femmes de la Télévision, du Cinéma et des Médias Numériques (FCTMN). It is developed especially for women entrepreneurs in television, film and digital media who are looking to structure a new business project or examine their business model in order to support their growth.
what does the program include ?
The program begins with four theory training sessions provided by HEC Montréal (crisis management, financial management, leadership, strategy and digital).
You will then follow a customized program with workshops in small groups, hosted by experts and provided by La Piscine, and 20 hours of individual support with a coach to closely examine which aspects to work on based on your specific needs.
- A launch workshop, eight workshops on four structuring topics (S.trategy, U.tility, R.eality, F.easability), and a closing event
- Exercises and practical tools to work on between each workshop to structure your business and development
- Five individual meetings with industry experts on topics related to the group workshops (positioning and business model, business development, marketing, human resources and finance)
- 20 hours of support with your assigned coach to define your objectives, work on tools and progress in the program
This edition of the SURF program, supported by SODEC (Société de Développement des Entreprises Culturelles), is developed especially for entrepreneurs and Quebec not-for-profit organizations working in SODEC fields who want to restructure or reposition their business.
Our support helps you address your specific business challenges related to structuring and positioning your business with seasoned coaches and experts, and discuss best practices with your peers from all across Quebec.
WHAT DOES THE PROGRAM INCLUDE?
SURF – SODEC is run over eight weeks with a collective concept that groups together five companies or organizations who share similar structuring and positioning challenges.
- A 90-minute group workshop with your coach and an expert on specific topics: human resources, client relations, business development, marketing, finance
- Two individual 30-minute sessions with your coach and the week’s expert to answer your questions and move forward with structuring tools
A contribution of $850 is requested from each organization in order to participate (program valued at $5,850).
What kinds of organizations can apply?
This program is reserved specifically for businesses and not-for-profit organizations working in SODEC fields:
- Film and audiovisual production
- Music and variety
- Fine arts and crafts
- Books and publishing
- Participants must have been in business for at least one year.
- There are no size or revenue criteria.
- Single-person companies are not eligible unless in the arts and crafts field.
- The company must be headquartered in Quebec.
Is my activity in a SODEC-supported field?
It is if you work in one of the following industries:
Film and television production
- Production companies that create short, featurette and feature-length films (fiction, documentary, animated)
- Promoters and distributors of film productions and Quebec television
- Young creators
- Movie theatre operators
- Festivals, events and promotional activities that showcase television and film production in Quebec and abroad
Books and publishing
- Certified editors
- Certified bookstores
- Book fairs
- Various professional industry associations and groups
Fine arts and crafts
- Artisans and organizations active in the fine arts
- Marketing activities providing exposure for fine arts
- Art galleries
- Various professional industry associations
Music and variety
- Quebec companies that produce audio recordings or shows, manage artists or organize events in the musical and variety show industry
- Festivals, events and promotional activities that showcase musical and variety shows in Quebec and abroad
- Various professional industry associations
How is this program tailored to my current situation?
This program is specifically adapted to Quebec companies and not-for-profits seeking quick responses to their questions on topics like human resources, finances, workplace dynamics, business development, communications and marketing and who would benefit from support in identifying practical and realistic solutions.
Who from my organization can participate in the workshops?
The number of participants is limited to two, but these people can change over the course of the program according to the topics covered.
What exactly do you do in a workshop?
Each 90-minute workshop covers a specific subject with an expert and your coach, with a highly interactive format divided into a number of stages:
- Several round-table discussions with the other participants about the topic in question, best practices and current challenges
- A presentation component where the expert provides practical tips to implement at your organization to structure your activities and better inform your thought process on your positioning and development
What are my commitments to the program path?
We ask for a number of commitments from participants:
- A financial contribution of $850 from the company (for a program path valued at $5,000)
- Active participation in group workshops and participation in the one-on-one discussions offered each week (with your coach and the week’s expert)
- Completing the tools provided by La Piscine to develop ideas BEFORE your meeting with the coach to maximize the productiveness of discussions
- Budgeting four to six hours a week to complete your tools (depending on the time required)
What kind of support will I receive throughout the program?
In addition to direct support from your coach and experts during workshops, you will have access to an online workspace that reviews the work tools offered and provides links to book meetings with your coach and our experts.
Your coach and our experts will be available for short individual sessions of 30 minutes a week each.
You will also have access to a messaging space to talk with all the other companies in the program’s cohorts.
What does the program cost?
The program includes 40 hours of individual and group support from coaches and experts. We ask each participating company for a contribution of $850 for this program valued at $5,850.
Note that up to two people from the same company can take part in the program, but the $850 is a one-time contribution from the company.